Schoolgirls Beaten on Train: “The Adults Didn’t Help Us…”

Schoolgirls Beaten by Drunk: “The Adults Didn’t Help Us…”

Five schoolgirls, aged eleven and twelve, were assaulted by a drunk whilst riding a train home, and passengers in the carriage did nothing to help.

The girls, who were returning home after a trip to a nearby town, had an encounter with a man which ended with him apparently slapping three of them in the face, and hitting them with his bag.

It seems he did them no significant harm, for we hear that they were uninjured.

They issued a plaintive report of their experience: “There were one or two adults on the carriage, but they didn’t do anything to help us.”

They left the train as soon as possible, and their parents reported the incident to police.

On receiving the report, police soon investigated and tracked the assailant down. He was arrested, and turned out to be a 53-year-old unemployed man. He admitted his crimes, saying “I woz drunk an’ I ‘it ‘em”, or something to that effect.

Police are still looking into the particulars.

It is not clear whether the girls were engaged in any action which might be provocative.

Via the NHK.

The story has unleashed a storm of comments on 2ch, with a probable majority sympathising strongly with those passengers who did nothing.

They generally point out their impotence in the face of a possibly knife wielding opponent, the extreme risk of a one to one fight on a train with an unknown opponent, and the probability of being arrested for getting involved, though many are unhappy at the oppressive weight of this logic in the face of their desire to intervene.

Some also suspect the girls of having done something to arouse the man’s wrath, though this is pure conjecture.

2ch is hardly a representative sample, so let us pose the question ourselves in an equally unrepresentative venue:

You are riding home from some unspecified business. The carriage is nearly empty when a rough looking man reeking of alcohol takes offence at some real or imagined slight made by a gaggle of cheeky schoolgirls. He starts slapping the girls, and they look plaintively at the few other passengers, who are all pretending to be asleep.

Poll unavailable.

18:40 08/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That happened to me before! but it was in Korea, and it was like 7 pm... hardly the time you'd expect someone to be drunk... He just came up to me and two of my friends and trying to put his arms around our shoulders and everything... freaky... but no one helped us!! Luckily, our stop was right after so we just ran away :P

20:47 06/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd watch and laugh discreetly, most likely. Voted number three.

20:49 06/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry, me again. I'd help if I thought I'd be rewarded by the "damsels in distress", but we all know that white-knighting never works. Ever.

20:50 06/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry, me again. Last time, I promise. White-knighting works in D&D computer games. Then again, so does "I saved your life, so give me all your money or I'll kill you".

Comment by Tyciol
    16:55 09/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I knew everyone would pick the 2nd last, we are all heroes.

Comment by EroorEGozooo
    11:03 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, we're all heroes on the internet and cowards on the real life.

Comment by Killian
    21:12 11/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If I think I can take the guy, I won't hesitate to intervene. If I don't think I can take the guy, I'd call the police and if it got really serious I'll probably still intervene in some way.

Comment by Da_Nuke
    06:21 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The po-po here in Guadalajara only does something when victims are from a family that earns over $2000 a month, and besides, if I hurt a drunken bum, it will be just another dead bum to them, like nothing had happened.

Thus, if a druken guy started slapping the girls, I would pull out that Ethernet cable I always carry in my backpack (I'm a telecomms engineering student), and strangle him until he apologizes and leaves the fucking bus. If he doesn't and tries to turn around, I'll fucking poke his eyes with my keys and kick him out from the bus.

10:26 23/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think you'd be surprised at what happens when you strangle someone with thin flex....

Seriously, man, you'd be in some shit with the police. He ain't going to be doing any apologising after 10 seconds, and he'd be fighting too hard for you to let go before then.

Comment by punk
    01:25 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

cowards! fucking cowards! what type of freaking bitch wont help a pair of children being assualted by a drunk fuck! cowards!

Comment by Heavyoak
    15:27 25/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I would use my meteor punch on the guy.

Comment by Arehexes
    06:05 28/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah to all you guys saying you kick his ass just remember he might try to sue you for attacking him also. I wouldn't do anything but watch with a bucket of popcorn, cause we live in a world with sue happy people who sue over anything. That and I really wouldn't care, that could go on and I wouldn't bat a eye. Hell you can't even help some people when they are having a heart attack cause if you break their rib they might sue for assault. We live in a messed up world and helping isn't allowed anymore.

06:54 28/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Most of the would-be-heroes are probably foreigners, too. They'd probably be arrested and sentenced to hang for simply laying their hands on a Japanese citizen.

Foreigners are the root of all evil, right...? >_>

03:34 26/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

probably I'll do option 3 and then 6.

06:25 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

where's "sneak up behind the guy and strangle from behind or hold your pocket knife to throat or threaten to embed a pencil in his eye?"
    because I'd definitely go with that option.

09:56 30/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is just an example of a bad situation for people who want to help the needy. The spreading of child molestation and bad rep Good Samaritans have over the recent months (being sued for helping someone, etc) results in things like this happening. Let's say I'm one of those passengers who witnessed it and chose option 5 (which I did). Even if I apprehend the drunkard, I'd still get booked by the police because even though I helped those schoolgirls from harm, the fact that they ARE schoolgirls puts me in hot water for child molestation. There have been news of Good Samaritans charged with child molestation over helping kids out.

So if I help the kids out on that situation, I'm a sex offender. And if I don't, they get hurt or worse, dead. This stigma of adults approaching children and automatically be labeled a pedophile regardless of what the adult does even if its harmless just stinks.

12:04 19/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd open my suitcase and grab my battleaxe

and then I'd decapitate the assailant and cleave the rest in half

CRITICAL HIT

Comment by Demon
    09:57 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

if he drunk and u got a number advantage i would of fucked him up and im sick and tired of ppl seeing shit and not doing anything

08:04 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

get behind the guy, choke him till he's unconcious and say he tried to attack you...

17:39 19/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not that much of a tough decision is it?
    It's just a drunk guy...

So grab the next heavy object you find, charge at him and crack his skull open. What bad can happen? You have atleast the schoolgirls to appear at witnesses for self-defence.

Comment by TNinja
    04:52 02/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A mix of 4 and 5, but I voted 5 since I can't just flee like that.

Even if I get arrested or such, I can't let something like that go on. Also I would hate the law and police if I ever got arrested.

07:08 18/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I would try to discreetly alert the police from my mobile phone.

14:31 30/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hopefully you will be in need of his foolhardy actions, but he'll take your advice instead.
    Evil can only success when good people do nothing.

14:10 19/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No good deed goes unpunished??

00:14 05/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, it's up to me to revive this(just found out about the site), so:

I really wouldn't laugh discreetly, and I wouldn't pretend to sleep either, I'd just watch there not doing anything, and at best, I'd raise my eyebrow.

19:55 13/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Hello, after reading this awesome paragraph i am also delighted to share my know-how here with mates.

Comment by Ben
    12:24 20/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe I'm full of shit, but I'd say that I would go to help them. (though until I was in the situation, I wouldn't know for sure.)

23:50 21/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Then again,if you say so much as hi to them,you are
    charged with sexual assault.

11:24 03/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's not too difficult to subdue a drunken man of that age. Beat him down, get off at the next stop with the girls. Flirt, then profit in the closest love hotel.

Comment by cwDeici
    00:23 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They were probably worried they'd be charged with molestation or kidnapping... <_< (references recent news)

05:55 25/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well there was some guy here in Germany that defended some chaps on train that were about to be robbed and took them off the train. After they got off the train both wannabe robbers stomped him to death.

It's really sad story :| Someone does the right thing again and gets death penalty.

Comment by Fonzer
    06:04 25/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anonymous said:

Very interesting annon.But it's like this somebody does it inexpirienced
    and unprepared and this is what they get.

Comment by Lilith
    04:43 26/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

coward pussies, this is disgusting

Comment by CJ
    07:24 09/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have personally taken on a 'man' assaulting his wife and child in public. It started as option 4 and turned into the down graded version of option 5. After pounding his head on the pavement a dozen times I finally noticed the woman had taken her child and run off. I took the opportunity to extricate my self from the scene. Would I do it again maybe but luckily I have a cell phone now so theirs less need.

Comment by faggot
    01:37 15/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

this happens too in my city, and what I do is to pull out the emergency panic button, or lever, depends on the train, if they didnt did that then those are cowards,

Comment by trezaquets
    00:19 31/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

this really a good idea,,,
    but I think the train Japan have that kind of lever and panic button,,
    so they really didnt do anything, I think...

Comment by Mincemeat
    20:24 15/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, that's a good idea. It's safe, and it's a way to instantaneously summon help, in expense of convenience.

Comment by LoliHat
    01:37 15/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

A person in Japan can be threatened with prosecution even though that person is defending others from an attacker?

Guess I'm too used to living in a country where it is acceptable to blow away a burgler who makes a move at you.

Comment by Garven
    01:05 15/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

#5, though not exactly that way. I've done security/bouncing before, so dealing with drunks wouldn't be anything new to me. There's always the danger of the drunk being armed, but you can usually get a drunk's mind to wander with a bit of quick talking, and you can deal with them accordingly. Wouldn't work so well for me with my shoddy Japanese though, heh.

Comment by KannaRei
    00:10 15/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I would first do option 2 and then a mix of 4 and 5:
    If time allows it I would discretely call(mobile phone) some professional help (police, staff, etc) and then step out to distract the drunkard(s)/assailant(s) or simply win time for the professionals to arrive.
    If time is short (aggressive acting, high tension, some beating already going underway) then I would simply call for the professionals openly and with increased voice on the phone, so the drunkard(s)/assailant(s) either scram or risk getting caught on the act.

Both ways I would not endanger myself too much (if you choose to act/help in such situations you are ALWAYS in some danger, as long as they only remember your face or similar), but have a good chance at stopping them or limit the damage.

...in before false saint?

Comment by Mem
    02:02 15/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I would try to disarm and immobilize the man by holding him by the arms and throwing him in the ground and keeping him from moving at all, while asking other people to call the police.

How can people stay passive on a situation like this.

Comment by Rakushu
    09:02 15/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd beat the shit out of him. Seriously who the fuck does he think he is, I don't care if he was drunk, hell I wouldn't care if I went to jail just for beating him.

And to those who wan away, what a bunch of cowards, you can't even call yourselves men, please die.

09:56 04/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Cowards do survive..."

Wannabe heroes however...

Comment by hehe
    16:51 14/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

me 2 allthough i have a hero complex

Comment by Adrian
    09:09 09/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

One word: Mace...

Not as satisfying as savagely beating the drunkard with an Excalibolg-style nailbat, but much more legal (and easier to carry).

Of course, simply carrying Mace or a tazer may be considered suspicious by Japanese police when you're a tall (by Japaneses standards), heavy-built male gaijin...

Comment by Yue-chan
    09:02 30/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

[x] Rape the maids

18:18 11/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

First you get down opon your knees, fiddle with your rosaries, bow your head in great respect and...

Genuflect, genuflect, genuflect!

Comment by Yuun
    21:17 14/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll approach him and try to pursue him for further drink. "My treat" I offer him. If he accept than we will have a real 'good' talk behind the alley.

If he push me away, I'll try to pursue the girls off the train or stay away while I attract the man's attention and try to ask for help at the next stop.

If he lend the first punch, Jesus say let them hit your other face. So if he indeed does hit the 2nd time, I'll do whatever necessary actions possible as not to scare the damsel.

Whatever choices come, my most important action taken will be getting to know the girls ^^

03:45 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's not what that passage means...to turn the other cheek means to set up a situation where a man must slap you with his left hand or slap you with his palm like an equal. It's an act of defiance.

Comment by Julius Firefocht
    21:10 14/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Go save the schoolgirls, like an hero.

Who knows, you might get some "reward" out of them if you survive the encounter.

Comment by Kurosaki Ichigo
    00:04 29/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

What kind of "reward" are you thinking of? From 11 and 12 year old schoolgirls, wonder what they can do for you...

Comment by Terriblelie
    12:26 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the age of the schoolgirls in the situation that is "happening to you" isnt posted. they could be high schoolers ^^